There are many blackjack strategies in the world that are not suitable for use. This is because they actually hurt a player’s blackjack odds rather than improve them. One such strategy that is in fact not a strategy is to assume that the dealer has a 10 for a hole card.
Really quick, just to review, a 10 is not just the 10 card of a suit, it is also a Jack, Queen or King.
The way this supposed strategy works that the player makes all of his or her plays based on the idea that the dealer’s hole card is a 10. So if the dealer is showing a 6, the player will assume the dealer has a 16.
But this strategy is not practical because there is only approximately a 30% chance of the hole card being worth 10. This is because out of the thirteen cards in a suit, only four are worth 10. The remaining nine cards have other values, which gives them a 70% chance of showing up as the dealer’s hole card.
It is rather silly to base a strategy on poor odds when the purpose of strategy in blackjack is to increase your odds. Playing by assuming the dealer’s hole card is a 10 actually increases the house edge to 10.03%. Now compare that just over 10% house edge to the house edge gained by playing according to basic strategy, which gives players a house edge of 0.5%.
So with the option of using a supposed strategy that makes no logical sense which gives you a house edge of 10.03% or a blackjack strategy that gives you a house edge of 0.5%, which are you going to choose? Exactly, you want to use the blackjack strategy that gives you that 0.5% house edge—basic strategy.